Read a Koran Day: Tomorrow

Tomorrow in a rational protest against senseless book burning there is a movement to mark the day by reading the Koran, or at your choosing another book.

Read Koran Day / Read Any Book Day

At the heart of this idea is the fact that burning books is aberrant, it doesn’t matter what the book is; Rhoald Darl’s The magic finger, Koran the holy book or the King Jame’s bible. Nothing can be solved by destroying knowledge and denying ones self the opportunity to understand and know more.

12 Responses to “Read a Koran Day: Tomorrow”

1. Meneer R says:

It’s nice to an American put things in perspective. Some people may never forget, they also never learn.

And some people. Thank you for showing me that some Americans are part of the solution.

MeneerR: I’m British, but the folks in the read a book video are yanks.

3. Oz says:

I’m rather violently opposed to book burning myself but there are far better and more tastefull ways to protest it than to declare 9/11 “Read the Koran Day”.

4. Flibble says:

Sorry but what exactly does this have to do with Ubuntu, Linux, or open source in general?

Flibble: Do you not think open access to knowledge is one important aspect of FOSS?

Of course I might just have posted it for the lols.

6. d2kx says:

If this goes on like that, I don’t bother reading Planet Ubuntu any longer. What with all these religious, non open source related posts recently. I am all for the freedom of religion, but I don’t want to read 50 posts about people telling me they are reading religious books on Planet Ubuntu, thanks.

d2kx: These are real people, you don’t have to read what they’re up to, you don’t even have have to comment on their blog posts.

8. Amsterdam says:

Good idea. Oz: why not on 9/11? The idea is to take note what in in the Koran (which I’ve done before, I’m not religious, but it was very similar to the bible and not in any way a book of aggression and warfare) – or even if you are afraid to open any other book (just to make clear that banning a book is dangerous for the existence of other books as well).

With this anti-freedom of religion thing going on in Europe and the USA it makes a lot of sense.

9. Philip says:

Hey :)

I am interested to know why you chose to mention Rhoald Darl’s The Magic Finger? Did you simply pick it at random, or is there some attached controversy behind it which I am unaware of? I ask because that was my favourite childhood read.

Philip: It was mine too, I might not like the Koran or Bible in so far as what they say (and hey, I’ve actually read them!) but I would be burning them. Rhoald Darl I obviously wouldn’t burn as he’s one of my childhood heros.

Amsterdam: From the sections I read yesterday, the Koran struck me as very Abrahamic (not a surprise) and contained about four easily identifiable psychological elements and some lovely circular logic. I’d class a lot of it as a mental trap for minds without critical thinking skills, perhaps it’s a test sent from God; Who can get out of this test?

11. Stuart says:

I think this is a great post, many thanks.

I think the attitude of preserving knowledge, and the freedom of access to knowledge, is a vital element of the ethos of this community. Perhaps the curmudgeonly anti-religion comments would not apply if Dr Mo was supporting a Read Darwin Day when the religious nutters start burning On the Origin of Species?

12. Ron says:

Let’s has freedom FROM religion.