Ground Control 1.2 – Merge, Pull and Ignore

For all those who reported that terrible missing branding bug that stopped you getting the code of your favourite projects, the new release of ground control should fix that. It’s also got a whole bunch of other fixes and improvements, including the ability to ignore new files in commits and merge/pull from the parent branch.

For all those that missed my demonstration blog entry, Ground Control is a desktop integration for your launchpad projects. It allows you to collaborate on bazaar branches if an effective and easy to follow way by removing or making smart most of the difficulties that stop contributors on the command line.

Do go check out the demonstration of version 1.0, it’s still got the core concepts and then you can download it via my ppa and enjoy checking out project code from nautilus.

Update: There was a configuration bug that’s now fixed, please try again if your attempt to use it got stuck ont he launchpad configuration.

Tags: , , , ,

No Responses to “Ground Control 1.2 – Merge, Pull and Ignore”

1. Aldo says:

Hello Doctormo, I installed version 1.2 of GroundControl but it did not create the folder Projects (in Italian it is “Progetti”). Actually, I had already installed a previous version, but I had removed it because I could not make a commit (it was only a try on one of my projects). Now I would to re-try it, but it did not create the project folder. What can I do?

2. Vadim P. says:

Just offering personal feedback, I know everything will be in due time – the ability to view diffs in commits is very important to me, and is why I don’t use the thing fulltime yet. I’m very paranoid and like to check over everything before commiting to be sure.

I also really don’t like how the help window blocks out the nautilus one completely. Would be much better if instead of a dialog that also blocks everything, a custom popup box appeared… or a second row in yellow color, whatever.

3. Mike Rooney says:

I just checked out the video demo in your other post, and this looks like it is off to a great start! I like the simplicity of it and how the next step is always laid out for you and available at the click of a button. Leveraging gedit and nautilus for this is also really cool because users are generally already comfortable and familiar with those tools.

It also seems like this accomplishes various parts of what David Siegel was talking about in his post about enabling opportunistic programmers; have you talked to him about Ground Control as the means for that?

4. Hey Martin, I’ll talk to you about this in IRC at some stage – but I’d like a feature that presents the user with a checkbox on whether they want to push to the main branch, or create their own branch for a merge proposal.

For our project, we don’t do merging, we just let all the contributors submit changes to the main branch. We have a very fast paced development process and a lot of contributors, everyone is far too busy to bother with merge reviews. So for now, Ground Control is unusable for our project until it gets an option to push directly into main :)

5. Martin Owens says:

Of course the ideal would be if you were able to help add such a feature (it’s really not that hard to do, just hard to get right) it involves detecting the ability to write to the branch, instead of just being it’s owner. launchpad has a fairly poor way of doing this, but it’s possible.

6. Martin Owens says:

A bug report already exists for coloured diffs in the gui.

7. Martin Owens says:

Sounds like an existing xdg bug where deleting your projects folder removes the entry from ~/.config/data-dirs.dirs so ground control assumes that you’ve disabled it.

Just put in the right path into your data-dirs.dirs files and you should be able to use it (FYI it’s not translated into Italian yet)

8. Aldo says:

Ok, I added the correct path in ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs (I do not have data-dirs.dirs). Now the folder has the top bar. Pressing the button “Configure Launchpad” launches the script to get credentials but the button still asks to configure Launchpad. o.O

How could I reset Ground Control configuration?